Sunday, May 3, 2015

Golan Levin's Interview

I found Golan Levin's interview to be very interesting. First of all, I thought the visual effects throughout the interview were very cool looking, and very appropriate for the topic! I found it interesting when he was talking about abstraction, and how it is the capacity to communicate beyond language. I agree with this statement. Often times an image may be hard to describe with everyday language because of how abstract it is. I thought it was interesting when Levin talked about how an image isn't either abstract or not abstract; instead, there is a continuum between abstraction and figuration. Therefore, there are many different levels that an image can be at in order to convey a certain message. Levin remarks how because of how early visual art could only consist of squares and circles, it was abstract. Nowadays there is much more of an exciting range between abstraction and figuration. Also, I thought the question about if a high priced art degree has value was a good question, for it really got me thinking. Especially in a field where by the time someone graduates the technology that they were taught no longer becomes the technology generally used, it seems reasonable to question if an art degree is vital. I think Levin's answer was very true on how it important because of how it brings people to the same place, so that they can collaborate and learn together. I also thought the question on if computers surpass human intelligence should we we sad or happy, to be fascinating. In a sense, computers already have, since they can compute information much quicker. Nevertheless, computers lack that personal understanding that humans have.

No comments:

Post a Comment