Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Buck Rogers in the Twenty-fifth Century

The episode from the radio that I decided to listen to was Buck Rogers in the Twenty-fifth Century. This was one of the first science fiction radio series and took place in the early 1930s. I thought that the episode I watched was very entertaining! It was about Dr. Huer, who is a famous, well established scientist and his experiment with the electro-hypno-mental-a-phone. In the episode, he is visited by his friend Wilma who is curious on what Dr. Huer is doing. Due to the special phone he has created, electronic impulses go through the brain to his patient so that the words are registered directly on the patient's brain. Therefore, the patient is able to subconsciously respond without even opening his mouth! The patient is Buck Rogers who is from 1919. He says how he was in an abandoned mine that collapsed on him and the gas that was released put him to sleep for 500 years. This is a very interesting storyline which I feel would make for a good movie! I thought it was humorous how Dr. Huer was such a fantastic scientist that he had created rockets that could go to the moon, since this was before rockets had actually gone to the moon. In addition, I thought the advertisements were cool. It was almost as if the episode was incorporated into Popsicle Pete's commercial because Pete talked before and afterwards on how the listeners should all go buy popsicles. Overall, I thought it was fun being able to imagine the scenes in my head instead of visually seeing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment